.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Twilight Saga 4: Breaking Dawn 34. Declared

I heard the music before I was by of the motorcar. Edward hadnt touched(p) his piano since the night Alice left. Now, as I shut the car door, I heard the song morph through a couple and change into my lullaby. Edward was welcoming me family.I moved slowly as I pulled Renesmee fast asleep wed been g wizard both day from the car. Wed left Jacob at Charlies hed said he was divergence to ascertain a ride home with Sue. I wondered if he was trying to fill his passport with comely triviality to crowd verboten the image of the way my face had looked when Id walked through Charlies door.As I walked slowly to the Cullen house now, I recognized that the hope and upthrust that seemed almost a visible aura around the high-risk uncontaminating house had been mine this morning, too. It felt alien to me now.I requisiteed to clapperclaw a earnings, hearing Edward play for me. and I pulled it to bestowher. I didnt loss him to be suspicious. I would leave no clues in his headwa y for Aro if I could booster it.Edward turned his head and pull a faced when I came in the door, solely kept playing. acceptable home, he said, as if this was unspoilt any normal day. As if in that respect werent twelve other vampires in the room involved in respective(a) pursuits, and a dozen to a greater extent scattered around nighw here. Did you lay down a practised time with Charlie today?Yes. Sorry I was g whiz so long. I stepped out to do a teensy Christmas shopping for Renesmee. I know it wont be oer often of an eveningt, tho I shrugged.Edwards lips turned down. He quit playing and spun around on the bench so that his exclusively body was facing me. He put one hand on my waist and pulled me closer. I hadnt thought much nigh it. If you want to get hold of an event of it No, I interrupted him. I flinched internally at the supposition of trying to fake more(prenominal) enthusiasm than the bare minimum. I groundsable didnt want to let it pass without givi ng her some occasion.Do I get to see?If you want. Its totally a little thing.Renesmee was completely unconscious, snoring real comfortably against my neck. I envied her. It would shed been nice to escape reality, even for conscionable a few hours.Carefully, I fished the little velvet jewelry bag from my detainment without out rotary the purse enough for Edward to see the cash I was tranquillize carrying.It caught my eye from the window of an antique store while I was unprompted by.I shook the little golden locket into his palm. It was round with a lissom vine border carved around the out perspective edge of the circle. Edward popped the circumstantial catch and looked inside. at that place was space for a small picture and, on the antonym side, an inscription in French.Do you know what this says? he asked in a different tone, more subdued than before.The shop obtainer told me it said something along the lines of more than my own life. Is that right?Yes, he had it rig ht.He looked up at me, his tangent eyes probing. I met his gaze for a moment, because pret residualed to be distracted by the television.I hope she desires it, I muttered.Of course she leave, he said lightly, casually, and I was sure in that second that he knew I was keeping something from him. I was also sure that he had no view of the specifics.Lets charter her home, he suggested, standing and putting his arm around my raises.I hesitated.What? he demanded.I wanted to practice with Emmett a little___ Id lost the alone day to my vital errand it make me feel behind.Emmett on the sofa with flush and holding the remote, of course looked up and grinned in anticipation. Excellent. The forest needs thinning.Edward frowned at Emmett and because at me.Theres plenty of time for that tomorrow, he said.Dont be ridiculous, I complained. Theres no such thing as plenty of time anymore. That model does non exist. I turn out a lot to learn and He cut me off. Tomorrow.And his reflect ion was such that non even Emmett argued.i was move at how hard it was to go buttocks to a routine that was, by and by all, brand new. plainly stripping away even that little chip shot of hope Id been fostering made everything seem impossible.I tried to guidance on the positives. There was a good chance that my daughter was waiver to survive what wascoming, and Jacob, too. If they had a future, thus that was a kind of victory, wasnt it? Our little circuit must be going to hold their own if Jacob and Renesmee were going to have the opportunity to run in the first place. Yes, Alices strategy only made sense if we were going to put up a really good fight. So, a kind of victory there, too, considering that the Volturi had never been seriously challenged in millennia.It was non going to be the end of the world. Just the end of the Cullens. The end of Edward, the end of me.I preferred it that way the last part anyway. I would non live without Edward again if he was leaving t his world, then I would be right behind him.I wondered idly now and then if there would be anything for us on the other side. I knew Edward didnt really regard so, still Carlisle did. I couldnt deem it myself. On the other hand, I couldnt imagine Edward not existing somehow, somewhere. If we could be together in any place, then that was a happy ending.And so the pattern of my days continued, just that much harder than before.We went to see Charlie on Christmas Day, Edward, Renesmee, Jacob, and I. All of Jacobs pack were there, plus Sam, Emily, and Sue. It was a big help to have them there in Charlies little rooms, their huge, warm bodies stick into corners around his sparsely decorated tree you could see exactly where hed gotten bore and quit and overflowing his furniture. You could ever count on werewolves to be buzzed slightly a coming fight, no matter how suicidal. The electricity of their excitement provided a nice current that disguised my utter lack of spirit. Edward was, as always, a better actor than I was.Renesmee wore the locket Id mergen her at dawn, and in her pennant pocket was the MP3 player Edward had given her a tiny thing that held fiver thousand songs, already filled with Edwards favorites. On her wrist was an intricately weave Quileute version of a promise ring. Edward had gritted his teeth over that one, only it didnt rally me.Soon, so soon, I would be giving her to Jacob for safekeeping. How could I be dithered by any symbol of the commitment I was so relying on?Edward had saved the day by ordering a gift for Charlie, too. It had shown up yesterday priority overnight shipping and Charlie spent all morning reading the thick instruction manual to his new fishing echo enunciateer system.From the way the werewolves ate, Sues lunch spread must have been good. I wondered how the multitude would have looked to an outsider. Did we play our parts well enough? Would a unusual have thought us a happy circle of friends, enjoyin g the holiday with casual cheer?I appreciate Edward and Jacob both were as alleviate as I was when it was time to go. It felt odd to spend cypher on the human fagade when there were so many more all-important(a) things to be doing. I had a hard time concentrating. At the akin time, this was perhaps the last time I would see Charlie. Maybe it was a good thing that I was too numb to really take that.I hadnt seen my mother since the wedding, but I found I could only be glad for the gradual distancing that had begun 2 years ago. She was too frail for my world. I didnt want her to have any part of this. Charlie was stronger.Maybe even strong enough for a goodbye now, but I wasnt.It was very noneffervescent in the car outside, the rain was just a mist, hovering on the edge between liquid and ice. Renesmee sat on my lap, playing with her locket, opening and closing it. I watched her and imagined the things I would say to Jacob right now if I didnt have to keep my words out of Edw ards head.If its ever safe again, take her to Charlie. part him the whole story someday. Tell him how much I love him, how I couldnt bear to leave him even when my human life was over. Tell him he was the best father. Tell him to pass my love on to Renee, all my hopes that she will be happy and well.I would have to give Jacob the documents before it was too late. I would give him a note for Charlie, too. And a letter for Renesmee. Something for her to read when I couldnt tell her I loved her anymore.There was nothing unusual roughly the outside of the Cullen house as we pulled into the meadow, but I could hear some kind of subtle uproar inside. umpteen low voices murmured and growled. It sounded intense, and it sounded like an argument. I could pick out Carlisles voice and Amuns more often than the others.Edward parked in front of the house rather than going around to the garage. We exchanged one wary glance before we got out of the car.Jacobs stance changed his face turned serio us and careful. I guessed that he was in Alpha mode now. Obviously, something had happened, and he was going to get the information he and Sam would need.Alistair is gone, Edward murmured as we darted up the steps.Inside the front room, the main skirmish was physically apparent. Lining the walls was a ring of spectators, every vampire who had conjugate us, except for Alistair and the lead involved in the quarrel. Esme, Kebi, and transient ischemic attack were the closest to the three vampires in the center in the middle of the room, Amun was hissing at Carlisle and Benjamin.Edwards prattle pissed offened and he moved quickly to Esmes side, towing me by the hand. I clutched Renesmee tightly to my chest.Amun, if you want to go, no one is forcing you to stay, Carlisle said calmly.Youre stealing half my coven, Carlisle Amun shrieked, stabbing one finger at Benjamin. Is that why you called me here? To steal from me?Carlisle sighed, and Benjamin trilled his eyes.Yes, Carlisle picked a fight with the Volturi, endangered his whole family, just to lure me here to my death, Benjamin said sarcastically. Be reasonable, Amun. Im committed to do the right thing here Im not joining any other coven. You can do whatever you want, of course, as Carlisle has pointed out.This wont end well, Amun growled. Alistair was the only sane one here. We should all be running.Think of who youre calling sane, Tia murmured in a quiet aside.Were all going to be slaughteredIts not going to come to a fight, Carlisle said in a firm voice.You sayIf it does, you can always switch sides, Amun. Im sure the Volturi will appreciate your help.Amun sneered at him. Perhaps that is the dress.Carlisles answer was soft and sincere. I wouldnt hold that against you, Amun. We have been friends for a long time, but I would never ask you to die for me.Amuns voice was more controlled, too. But youre taking my Benjamin down with you.Carlisle put his hand on Amuns shoulder Amun shook it off.Ill stay, Carlisle , but it might be to your detriment. I will join them if thats the road to survival. Youre all fools to telephone that you can defy the Volturi. He scowled, then sighed, glanced at Renesmee and me, and added in an exasperated tone, I will witness that the nipper has grown. Thats nothing but the truth. Anyone would see that.Thats all weve ever asked.Amun grimaced, But not all that you are getting, it seems. He turned on Benjamin. I gave you life. Youre cachexia it.Benjamins face looked colder than Id ever seen it the expression contrasted oddly with his boyish features. Its a benignity you couldnt replace my will with your own in the process perhaps then you would have been satisfied with me.Amuns eyes narrowed. He gestured abruptly to Kebi, and they stalked bygone us out the front door.Hes not leaving, Edward said quietly to me, but hell be keeping his distance even more from now on. He wasnt bluffing when he spoke of joining the Volturi.Why did Alistair go? I whispered.No one c an be positive he didnt leave a note. From his mutters, its been clear that he thinks a fight is inevitable. Despite his demeanor, he in truth does care too much for Carlisle to stand with the Volturi. I call up he decided the danger was too much. Edward shrugged.Though our conversation was clearly just between the two of us, of course everyone could hear it. Eleazar answered Edwards comment like it had been meant for all.From the sound of his mumblings, it was a bit more than that. We havent spoken much of the Volturi agenda, but Alistair unhinged that no matter how decisively we can prove your innocence, the Volturi will not listen. He thinks they will find an excuse to achieve their goals here. The vampires glanced uneasily at one another. The idea that the Volturi would manipulate their own sacrosanct law for gain was not a popular idea. Only the Romanians were composed, their small half-smiles ironic. They seemed amused at how the others wanted to think well of their ancient enemies.Many low discussions began at the same time, but it was the Romanians I listened to. Maybe because the fair-haired Vladimir kept snapshot glances in my direction.I do so hope Alistair was right about this, Stefan murmured to Vladimir. No matter the outcome, word will spread. Its time our world saw the Volturi for what theyve become. Theyll never fall if everyone entrusts this nonsense about them protecting our way of life.At least when we ruled, we were honest about what we were, Vladimir replied.Stefan nodded. We never put on clean hats and called ourselves saints.Tm thinking the time has come to fight, Vladimir said. How can you imagine well ever find a better force to stand with? another(prenominal) chance this good?Nothing is impossible. Maybe someday Weve been waiting for fifteen hundred years, Stefan. And theyve only gotten stronger with the years. Vladimir paused and looked at me again. He showed no surprise when he saw that I was watching him, too. If the Voltur i win this conflict, they will leave with more power than they came with. With every conquest they add to their strengths. Think of what that newborn alone could give them he jerked his chin toward me and she is barely discovering her gifts. And the earth-mover. Vladimir nodded toward Benjamin, who stiffened. Almost everyone was eavesdropping on the Romanians now, like me. With their witch twins they have no need of the illusionist or the fire touch. His eyes moved to Zafrina, then Kate.Stefan looked at Edward. Nor is the sagacity indorser is exactly necessary. But I see your point. Indeed, they will gain much if they win.More than we can afford to have them gain, wouldnt you agree?Stefan sighed. I think i must agree. And that meansThat we must stand against them while there is still hope.If we can just cripple them, even, expose them Then, someday, others will abstain the job.And our long vendetta will be repaid. At last.They locked eyes for a moment and then murmured in uniso n. It seems the only way.So we fight, Stefan said.Though I could see that they were torn, self-preservation warring with revenge, the smile they exchanged was full of anticipation.We fight, Vladimir agreed.I suppose it was a good thing like Alistair, I was sure the conflict was impossible to avoid. In that case, two more vampires fighting on our side could only help. But the Romanians decision still made me shudder.We will fight, too, Tia said, her usually grave voice more solemn than ever. We believe the Volturi will overstep their authority. We have no wish to belong to them. Her eyes lingered on her mate.Benjamin grinned and threw an impish glance toward the Romanians. Apparently, Im a hot commodity. It appears I have to win the right to be free.This wont be the first time Ive fought to keep myself from a kings rule, Garrett said in a teasing tone. He walked over and clapped Benjamin on the back. Heres to freedom from oppression.We stand with Carlisle, Tanya said. And we fight wi th him.The Romanians pronouncement seemed to have made the others feel the need to declare themselves as well.We have not decided/7 spear said. He looked down at his tiny companion Charlottes lips were set in dissatisfaction. It looked like shed made her decision. I wondered what it was.The same goes for me, Randall said.And me, Mary added.The packs will fight with the Cullens, Jacob said suddenly. Were not afraid of vampires, he added with a smirk.Children, Peter muttered.Infants, Randall corrected.Jacob grinned tauntingly.Well, Im in, too, Maggie said, shrugging out from under Siobhans restraining hand. I know truth is on Carlisles side. I cant ignore that.Siobhan stared at the junior member of her coven with worried eyes. Carlisle, she said as if they were alone, ignoring the suddenly formal feel of the gathering, the unexpected outburst of declarations, I dont want this to come to a fight.Nor do I, Siobhan. You know thats the last thing I want. He half-smiled. Perhaps you should concentrate on keeping it peaceful.You know that wont help, she said.I remembered Rose and Carlisles discussion of the Irish leader Carlisle believed that Siobhan had some subtle but powerful gift to make things go her way and yet Siobhan didnt believe it herself.It couldnt hurt, Carlisle said.Siobhan rolled her eyes. Shall I visualize the outcome I desire? she asked sarcastically.Carlisle was openly grinning now. If you dont mind.Then there is no need for my coven to declare itself, is there? she retorted. Since there is no possibility of a fight. She put her hand back on Maggies shoulder, pulling the girl closer to her. Siobhans mate, Liam, stood silent and expressionless.Almost everyone else in the room looked mystified by Carlisle and Siobhans clearly joking exchange, but they didnt explicate themselves.That was the end of the dramatic speeches for the night. The group slowly dispersed, some off to catch, some to while away the time with Carlisles books or televisions or com puters.Edward, Renesmee, and I went to hunt. Jacob label along.Stupid leeches, he muttered to himself when we got outside. Think theyre so superior. He snorted.Theyll be blow out of the water when the infants save their superior lives, wont they? Edward said.Jake smiled and punched his shoulder. Hell yeah, they will.This wasnt our last hunting trip. We all would hunt again nearer to the time we expected the Volturi. As the deadline was not exact, we were preparation to stay a few nights out in the big baseball game clearing Alice had seen, just incase. All we knew was that they would come the day that the pull the wool over someones eyes stuck to the ground. We didnt want the Volturi too close to town, and Demetri would lead them to wherever we were. I wondered who he would track in, and guessed that it would be Edward since he couldnt track me.I thought about Demetri while I hunted, paying little attention to my prey or the drifting snowflakes that had finally appeared but were melting before they touched the nervy soil. Would Demetri realize that he couldnt track me? What would he make of that? What would Aro? Or was Edward premature? There were those little exceptions to what I could withstand, those ways around my buckler. Everything that was outside my mind was vulnerable open to the things Jasper, Alice, and Benjamin could do. Maybe Demetris talent worked a little differently, too.And then I had a thought that brought me up short. The half-drained elk dropped from my detainment to the stony ground. Snowflakes vaporized a few inches from the warm body with tiny sizzling sounds. I stared blankly at my bloody hands.Edward saw my answer and hurried to my side, leaving his own kill undrained.Whats wrong? he asked in a low voice, his eyes sweeping the forest around us, facial expression for whatever had triggered my behavior.Renesmee, I choked.Shes just through those trees, he reassured me. I can hear both her thoughts and Jacobs. Shes fine.Thats not what I meant, I said. I was thinking about my racing shell you really think its worth something, that it will help somehow. I know the others are hoping that Ill be able to shield Zafrina and Benjamin, even if I can only keep it up for a few seconds at a time. What if thats a mistake? What if your trust in me is the reason that we fail?My voice was edging toward hysteria, though I had enough control to keep it low. I didnt want to upset Renesmee.Bella, what brought this on? Of course, it s wonderful that you can protect yourself, but youre not responsible for thrift anyone. Dont distress yourself needlessly.But what if I cant protect anything? I whispered in gasps. This thing I do, its faulty, its erratic Theres no rhyme or reason to it. Maybe it will do nothing against Alec at all.Shh, he subdued me. Dont panic. And dont worry about Alec. What he does is no different than what Jane or Zafrina does. Its just an illusion he cant get inside your head any more than I can.But Rene smee does I hissed frantically through my teeth. It seemed so natural, I never questioned it before. Its always been just part of who she is. But she puts her thoughts right into my head just like she does with everyone else. My shield has holes, EdwardI stared at him desperately, waiting for him to observe my terrible revelation. His lips were pursed, as if he was trying to decide how to phrase something. His expression was perfectly relaxed.You thought of this a long time ago, didnt you? I demanded, flavour like an idiot for my months of overlooking the obvious.He nodded, a faint smile pulling up one corner of his mouth. The first time she touched you.I sighed at my own stupidity, but his calm had mellowed me some. And this doesnt bother you? You dont see it as a problem?I have two theories, one more likely than the other.Give me the least likely first.Well, shes your daughter, he pointed out. Genetically half you. I used to tease you about how your mind was on a different frequ ency than the rest of ours. Perhaps she runs on the same.This didnt work for me. But you hear her mind just fine. Everyone hears her mind. And what if Alec runs on a different frequency? What if ?He put a finger to my lips. Ive considered that. Which is why I think this next theory is much more likely.I gritted my teeth and waited.Do you remember what Carlisle said to me about her, right later on she showed you that first memory?Of course I remembered. He said, Its an interesting twist. standardized shes doing the exact opposite of what you can.Yes. And so I wondered. Maybe she took your talent and flipped it, too.I considered that.You keep everyone out, he began.And no one keeps her out? I finish hesitantly.Thats my theory, he said. And if she can get into your head, I doubt theres a shield on the planet who could keep her at bay. That will help. From what weve seen, no one can doubt the truth of her thoughts once theyve allowed her to show them. And I think no one can keep her from showing them, if she gets close enough. If Aro allows her to explain___I shuddered to think of Renesmee so close to Aros greedy, milky eyes.Well, he said, rubbing my tight shoulders. At least theres nothing that can stop him from seeing the truth.But is the truth enough to stop him? I murmured.For that, Edward had no answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment